Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Earth Science
Maria Louka

NASA Photo of the Day
2/5/14

I chose NASA's Photo of the Day from March 15th 2009. The picture I chose is a picture of a big solar prominence taken in 2004 by NASA's SOHO Spacecraft hovering over the surface of the Sun. Basically, a solar prominence is a cloud of solar gas which is above the Sun and is held there with the help of the Sun's magnetic field. Usually, a prominence lasts about one month and will eventually explode in a Coronal Mass Ejection. This CME will expel hot gas all over into the Solar System. A question I would have about this photo is where does all the energy come from that creates this prominence and how is it able to sustain itself for a whole month without erupting?













http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090315.html






2 comments:

  1. You did a good job in explaining the picture and what specifically is solar prominence. Also, you wrote thought provoking questions that I wonder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for actually giving a good description of the picture! I never knew what a solar prominence even was! I also like that you end with a question of your own.

    ReplyDelete