Sunday, September 8, 2013

Waterspout


This is a photo of a waterspout taken in Tampa Bay, Florida. This photo is very interesting to me mainly because I have never seen anything quite like it. When I first looked at this photo it almost reminded me of an upside-down tornado. It looks almost as if water is rising up to form this "waterspout" which must take very strong winds for this to happen. The first question that came to my mind is how strong must the winds be for this to happen? Another one is can "waterspouts" only form in oceans? Lastly is how long does it take for them to form?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130717.html

3 comments:

  1. I am truly fascinated by this photo. I also have never seen anything like it (or heard of anything like it). I am sure that this evolves because of extreme winds, like you said. I love the fact that you really put your two sense into describing it, referring to it as a "upside down tornado." It is a cool picture and a great explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Andrew's comment in that I have never before seen anything like this. I also think your questions were clear and concise. You must have put time into picking out this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, amazing picture. I really don't know much about them, but if you Google "waterspout" you can find a lot of great pictures, video, and information. Hers is what NOAA has to say about them:

    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/?n=waterspouts

    ReplyDelete