Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Butterfly Nebula

This image is a closeup of the nebula NGC 6302 that was taken by one of the Hubble Space Telescope's cameras. It is interesting because the nebula looks just like a butterfly. The wings are pinker closer to the center and darker orange farther out. The dying star in the center of the wings is not in sight in this photo because it is covered by a cloud of dust. When observing this picture, I began to wonder how nebulas begin to form. I know that they are formed with dust and gases, but I want to know how they form and which gases they are formed with. Are all nebulas formed with the same gases? If nebulas can keep getting larger by picking up more dust and gases, how large can they get? How large is this nebula compared to others? How large are the largest ones? 

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130607.html

3 comments:

  1. I think this picture is interesting because it really does look like butterfly wings. The pink and the orange makes it look a bit intense. I like how you did not only focus on the NGC 6302, but nebulas in general. The questions are all thoughtful, and it makes me wonder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this picture is very interesting to view; it is neat that the nebula looks like a butterfly. I agree with Amy that your questions are thoughtful. I think this post is very insightful, and you did a wonderful job explaining this image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent commentary and great questions you raise. I hope that you will seek out the answers! As we get into our astronomy unit, please keep this photo in mind and look for answers!

    ReplyDelete