Sunday, September 8, 2013

Thunderstorm at Sunset



This is a photo of a thunderstorm retreating at sunset. It was taken mid June of this year in Alberta, Canada. I was drawn to this photo because of the bright and vibrant colors. The cloud depicted in this photo is called a cumulonimbus cloud, or a "thundercloud." As the title suggests, this photo depicts a thunderstorm. What interests me is that because of the time of day at which this thunderstorm occurred, the photo contains two distinctly different elements. In the background, the sky is darker and rain is falling, while in the foreground the sky is bright and the clouds are pink and orange and yellow. I love the contrast between these two scenes, and how surreal an effect they create. I wonder how often something like this occurs, and whether it can only occur in certain places in the world. I also wonder if a similar effect could occur during sunrise.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130828.html

5 comments:

  1. This cloud is so colorful. Normally, when you think of a cloud that produces a thunderstorm you think of something dark and gray. I like how you can see the color change from where the rain is to the bright colors in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that birds-eye views of thunderstorms were very interesting and this photo is no exception. I love how the clouds are illuminated by the sun and how they create such a contrast against the bright blue skies. I am also very interested in the question you brought up about how often this occurs and where it can occur. I would like to know if this is just an ordinary picture of a retreating thunderstorm or if there is something special about the type of storm and the location of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the way that the cloud seems to be almost exploding is so cool. I also think that the contrast between the three bold colors in this photo is very pretty: the green grass, the blue sky, and the pinkish, orange cloud. I never thought that a cloud due to a thunderstorm could be this color. Another aspect I find interesting is how the front half is very tranquil and bright, but then towards the back the cloud takes on a grayish color and the sky gets dark. I wonder if the storm is retreating from the location depicted in the front of the photo or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the cloud looks pink even though the title says that it's a thunderstorm. I love the bright colors of the blue sky and green grass. I really wish I could have been there to see this amazing view. However, I'm not sure if the storm is coming towards me or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me that the Earth is round. As the sun sinks below the horizon, the rays continue to illuminate the tops of the clouds even as the sun may be below the horizon. If the Earth were flat, this would not be possible!

    Beautiful picture. I think a special camera must have been used.

    ReplyDelete