Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Quadruple Lunar Halo Over Spain


The photo above shows a Quadruple Lunar Halo captured in Madrid, Spain.  Taken on Saturday December 1st, 2012 (but posted on Monday December 3, 2012) the picture illustrates the Moon surrounded by a halo made by falling ice crystals.  When these ice crystals come into the atmosphere of the Earth, they cause rings or halos to appear around the Sun or Moon.  These rings usually last from a few minutes to a few hours.  When I saw this picture, my first question was if these halos appear all over the world, or can they only appear in certain parts.  Also, I wonder if the moon has to be in a certain phase, or phases, for the halos to appear. 

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121203.html

5 comments:

  1. This photo is so beautiful and almost looks like a painting. It is very interesting to know that the halo is made of falling ice crystals. At first glance I thought that it just might be some kind of reflection from the moon. It is also interesting to know that these halos can also form around the sun. I would love to see a picture of that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you picked a great picture. It is so interesting that the halo around the moon is made from falling ice crystals. When i saw this picture the same questions arouse to me: Do these halos appear all over the world? Does the moon have to be in a certain phase for the halo to appear? I would really like to see this beautiful sight one day. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, you must have taken time to find this topic. Your description was clear and concise making it easy to follow and picture the event occurring. It says falling ice crystals and that makes me wonder where they formed from, as well as the other questions you proposed. If I saw this in real life it would definitely seem surreal! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo is beautiful and impressive. When I saw the picture at first I also wondered if these halos appear all over the world. It would be incredible if I could see one of these one day. It's interesting that they can form around the moon or the sun. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the halos would only be visible in a small area on Earth where there are enough ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere to have the effect. However, I have seen something similar before in New York on several occasions. I wonder if it was caused by the same phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete