Sunday, September 8, 2013

Strawberry Sun


This photo instantly caught my eye. The neon orange colored sun and camel colored sky intrigued me to read more about this odd image and where it came from. Taken in the small village of Strawberry, California, the cause of this rather rare-looking sky was the infamous forest fire called the "Rim Fire". The smoke particles built up and caused the sky and sun to look this way. The questions that this photo raises for me are: Has this happened in other places in the world? Does the sky look like this all the time? Will the blue particles in the sky ever reappear?

Source: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130829.html

Sophie Doukas

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this picture is very interesting to view; it gives me a mysterious feeling. You did a great job explaining this picture and your questions are very thought provoking. I would really like to see this one day. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny that this photo was taken in strawberry, California where the sun is the color of a strawberry. I also think it's very interesting that the color of the sun was caused by a forest fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie, Jack did the same picture and had very similar questions, so I am going to copy and paste my response to him:

    Finding a red sun is actually a fairly common phenomenon. It happens almost every sunset! When the sun is low in the sky the light has to travel through more atmosphere to reach your eye. The light scatters off the particles in the air. The longer wavelengths (red) is scattered less, so only the reddish colors reach your eye. Dust, pollution, and ash from volcanoes can also help scatter light, which is why the sun will appear more red if there if there was a recent volcanoe eruption, or intense pollution.

    Check out this link for more information: http://earthsky.org/space/sun-looks-on-horizon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting photo! I loved your explanation and the words you used to describe the sun.

    ReplyDelete