Monday, September 9, 2013

Strawberry Sun


As soon as I looked at this picture, I loved it. This unique, unusual sun made me ask myself why is this sun a different color then all the rest that I see? This picture was taken on August 22nd in Strawberry, California. The Rim Fire which strongly affects areas near the Yosemite National Park is near this town. In California, many forest fires occur in which the particles of smoke from these fires spread into the Earth's atmosphere. This causes a change in the color of the sun, and also the sky. I was curious about this picture though and was wondering: How long does this sun stay this color for?Days?Weeks?, Does this sun only appear in California? Do people in Strawberry, California only get to see this color sun, or does the color change daily? I find this picture to be so cool, and makes me want to hop on a plane to Strawberry, California, just to see this amazing sun!

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130829.html

4 comments:

  1. I wonder why the smoke changed the color of the sun to red and not another color. It is interesting how the smoke particles block out the clouds and the blue color of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very popular picture! You are the third student to post this picture.

    The Rim Fire at Yosemite, (which apparently is STILL burning!) causes an increase in dust and ash in the sky. This dust and ash scatters the light, especially the shorter wavelengths, and leavning only the longer (more red) wavelengths.

    I would save the cost of a plane ticket and just go watch the sunset locally. It may not be as dramatic, but there is enough pollution, and the effect of having to shine through more atmosphere when the sun is lower in the sky has a similar effect, and will also be more red/pink than when it is directly overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this picture as well because I've actually seen a "strawberry" sun once in my life (I once lived very close to Strawberry) and have always wondered why it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very lovely picture, and make me curious to see where else this might occur, and how often it might occur. I wonder if the Ozone Layer is terribly effected, and also if the strength of the rays changes much.

    ReplyDelete