Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Starry Night of Iceland

 
 
 
This photo was taken over Jökulsárlón, the largest glacial lake in Iceland. The photographer, Stephane Vetter, captured two green auroral rings, a band of our Milky Way Galaxy in the distant sky, the Pleiades open clusters of stars, and the Andromeda galaxy. The image won an international competition for landscape astrophotography. The reflection of the sky on the lake is very aesthetically pleasing. I think this image is very mesmerizing; I personally would love to view something so spectacular before I die. Some questions this photo raises for me include: What determines the color of the auroral rings? What does an auroral ring look like from space? What creates auroral rings?


2 comments:

  1. I think that you summed up what is shown in the picture very nicely, and I love this picture. The look of the green and white ring around the sky is amazing. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an article and YouTube video on what causes auroras:

    http://www.universetoday.com/92929/what-causes-aurora/

    The NASA website you got the image from says they are caused by "coronal mass ejections." It would be nice if you looked up what that meant!

    Like you, I too, hope to see auroras in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete