Monday, September 9, 2013

Milky Way Over Quiver Tree Forest

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download 
the highest resolution version available.
This photograph was taken in southern Namibia. In the background is the central band of the large milky way. In the foreground there are many quiver trees which are unique because they are actually aloe plants but can grow very tall like trees.  These plants can live to be 300 years old! This photograph was my favorite because of the variety of colors in the sky and the interesting plants. I wonder why the quiver trees have lasted for so many years? I also want to know why the milky way is shaped as it is? What is the burst of light in the background? The sunset?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121212.html

5 comments:

  1. I love how there are so many different colors in this picture. I like the contrast between the dark trees and the lighter sky in the background. This picture makes me wonder why one can see the Milky Way so clearly, and why there can be so many different yet bright colors in the sky at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contrast between the setting sun and the starry night are interesting. It is also cool how clear and visible the milky way is. Maybe it is because there is no light pollution in that area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrast between the setting sun and the starry night are interesting. It is also cool how clear and visible the milky way is. Maybe it is because there is no light pollution in that area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting how visible the milky way is, I have never seen the milky way that clearly. Perhaps it is because there is no light pollution in the area to obstruct the vision. I also found it interesting that the sun is still visible, yet it does not light up the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is my favorite photo posted so far! It is really beautiful and appeals to both my biologist side and earth scientist side, with the contrast of the ancient Milky Way backdrop against the living trees. Those trees may be old, but many trees can live to be hundreds of years old, so it is not so unusual!

    ReplyDelete