Friday, October 25, 2013

Hitting Pay Dirt on Mars


Jack Fitzgibbons                                                                                           Earth Science Current Event
            I read an article from the New York Times science section called Hitting Pay Dirt on Mars. This article was about how the space rover Curiosity landed on Mars and discovered water in the very first rock it sampled. This discovery was completely by accident. The rock looked bleak and ordinary, so the scientists decided to use it as a sample rock for the rover to test. It turned out the rock was very Earth-like, or terrestrial. This was not the only surprising discovery. Curiosity also spent weeks analyzing a pile of dust and dirt. This pile of dirt and dust contained water too. When that dust and dirt was heated, it released water vapor. One cubic foot of heated soil for Mars would produce a couple pints of water. But all this isn’t what intrigued scientists the most. This water that was contained in the soil could be a drinking source for Martian microbes, and a water resource for future Mars astronauts. But complicating future human presence on Mars was Curiosity’s discovery of chemicals called perchlorates. Perchlorates can cause thyroid problems.

            Another focus of the article was the finding of the volcanic rock called Jack M, named after Jacob R. Matijevic. It seemed to be a piece of basalt, which is common on the surface of Mars. The rock was described as “featureless” and “not expected to be anything interesting”. But when the data that came back, proved it was very interesting. It had a mix of elements that reminded scientists of terrestrial rocks. The chunk of rock was alkaline, and is very similar to the uncommon kind of rock, mugearite. This is found on the volcanic parts of Hawaii. Mugearite is an extremely rare rock on Earth, less than one percent of Earth’s rocks are mugearite. On Earth, the magma that cools and then hardens into alkaline rocks, is created from rock deep in the mantle, in the presence of water, being melted. Because Jake M is believed to be one of those kinds of alkaline rocks, we learn that the history of Mars could be very similar to that of Earth’s, and considerably more interesting.

            This article is not only important to the study of Mars, but also current and future society.  The one major connection to society that stood out the most for me was the discovery of water. This is huge because if we ever have the need to go to Mars, there is a drinking resource there. With an increasingly growing number of countries getting their hands on nuclear weapons, if a nuclear war started Mars could be where we evacuate to. The finding of water could also mean there is life on Mars…which could lead to abductions. Not really but it could mean that there are living microbes on Mars. This could also be very bad for the U.S. money wise. If scientists start spending too much on Mars, or other planets, exploration we will dig ourselves deeper into debt.

            This article was was well written and packed with very good information, but could have had a better flow and been more interesting. Kenneth Chang did an extremely good job of explaining the facts about Martian soil and the possibility of life. Although it had very good facts, it could have better information to pull in the reader. Although I personally found the article quite interesting, others would have been bored by it quickly. The article seemed like it was copied straight from an outline, it was just a bunch of facts thrown together, it had no true flow. Overall I think it was a very strong and educational article
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/science/space/hitting-pay-dirt-on-mars.html?_r=0

3 comments:

  1. I like how you introduced you article and gave a very general overview for the first two sentences. I thought you review was very easy to read, informative, and interesting. I enjoyed how you explained different uses for the water I also enjoyed how you included information that enhanced your review. I also enjoy how you compared Mars and the Earth, which made it more relevant. I enjoyed the humor you included in your review. I really think your review was remarkable, and it seems like you put a lot of time into it.
    I found it interesting that you said the article was boring, because I found your review to be quite interesting. I was intrigued to learn that water was found on Mars totally by accident. I also think it is interesting that that a chunk of rock from Mars was similar to a rock on the Earth.
    I found your review to be very well written. However, the one thing I wish you explained further was the chemical perchlorates. Other than that, your article was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, I really enjoyed your review. It’s exciting that there could be life on other planets. One of the best aspects of this review was the relevance paragraph. I liked how you explained what water on Mars means to us. Like Ally said, the spots of humor in your review kept me hooked. Another aspect of your review I enjoyed was the way you tied so much detail into succinct paragraphs. Finally, the review was clearly written with no grammatical errors, which made it easy to read. Overall, your review was intriguing, informative, and well written.
    The article you chose was exciting and full of interesting facts that I did not know. Like I said before, the relevance paragraph was one of the best parts of the review. I learned that there could be or have been life on Mars. This means we may be able to live there one day if our technology advances. Another interesting fact that I learned was that some rocks on Mars are made of the same materials as rocks on Earth. What does this mean? I was disappointed to learn that perchlorates were discovered on Mars. Your review got me interested in this topic and I’ll be sure to keep updated.
    This was a great review and I really enjoyed reading it. I wish you had included dates. I wanted to know when this was discovered and what are we going to do next? Besides this, you did a great job and wrote an interesting review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your topic was well presented. It provided information that until now I, along with many others, wouldn't have believed. First of all, let me say that it was a great idea to separate the summary into two paragraphs. This allowed the reader, in this case, me, to have time to digest the two major points of the article "Hitting Pay Dirt on Mars." Allowing the first paragraph to be mainly focused on the water on mars and the other one about the rock samples similar to specific volcanic one on Earth, let me thoroughly understand the point of your article and the significance of it all. Until I read your article I had no idea about these small yet at the same time major details about Mars. Your summary was informative, concise, provided interesting points, and had a nice and easy flow to it. Your connection and significance paragraph was different from most peoples'; it was creative, but at the same time possible, even if very slightly. Because after all there are those perchlorates causing thyroids, and possibly countless other factors canceling out the theory of us ever going to Mars. One thing I think you could have done to make your review better is if you added dates, specifically the date when the new knowledge about Mars was gained. Yet, I could see how that would be rather difficult considering the article itself doesn't mention any real date either.

    ReplyDelete