Thursday, January 9, 2014

Youth Athletics

Natalie Kister
 
            The poster that I chose to write about was presented on focused on the topic of youth sports. “Youth Sports: The Impact of Age, Gender, Pressure, Coaches, Teammates, Parents, and Injuries of Young Athletes Teammates” was made and presented by Killian Donahue. She started off her presentation by describing the 1972 Education Amendment, Title IX. This amendment required schools to provide equal access to school activities. The result of this was parents putting their children into sports and athletic activities starting at a younger age. In her thesis, she included how the positive and negative effects from parents and coaches can either motivate an athlete, or add stress and less their dedication to “future aspirations”. Some factors that can have effects on young athletes include their age, gender, pressure, coaches, teammates, parents and injuries. The ways that age can affect a young competitor include how they can be picked in the selection process. Since males are generally considered more fit, they have many more opportunities than females. Coaches, parents and teammates all effect young athletes in by putting pressure on them, whether it be to win games, compete better, or perfect a skill. If an athlete becomes injured, it makes them ineligible to compete. Pressure factors can come from athletes themselves, or the people around them. Other research included on this poster was positive and negative effects of youth athletics. Some positive effects listed included, children can learn how teams work, they can develop their social skills by interacting this different people and groups with whom they wouldn’t normally interact, athletics encourage active and healthy bodies and playing a sport and help to develop and teach time management skills. Some negative effects that Killian included in her research are that stress can be added to ones like if they feel that they cannot and are not meeting expectation from coaches, teammates, and parents. Injuries, such as concussions, can result from contact sports, while ACL tears are increasing in female athletes. After hearing this presentation, I thought that it was a very good topic for Killian to choose because it seemed like she has had first had experience with many of the topics and effects she addressed. I think that the way her poster was laid out made it very easy to follow her presentation, and the charts and diagrams she had in the center of the poster added very interesting data that the listeners were able to read.
            After visiting many posters at this event, I thought that this ever was very interesting and worth going to. I enjoyed my experience because the presenters there were happy to answer any questions that you had about their topics, and were very knowledgeable in the fields that they were presenting in. Another poster that interested me was the poster about the educational voucher system by Mary Clare Connor. She spoke about how in different parts of the United States, the educational voucher system was allowing children who didn’t previously have access to good schools, now are able to. A third poster I was also impressed by was the poster presenting on the question of whether there was such thing as “the gay gene”. I liked this one because I thought that the topic was very interesting and was well addressed. Over all, I really enjoyed my experience at this symposium.

5 comments:

  1. Natalie, I thought that this review was really good. I really liked that you picked to review something from the symposium, and thought that the topic is very relevant. I liked how you included lots of information on how sports affect all types of people based on different fields. I also liked how you included two other posters that caught your eye and we well done. Finally, I liked how you gave an overall view of this science fair; what is was like and that it was worth going and you enjoyed your time there. I learned a lot from your review, even though I experience all of these things first hand. I never really thought about how sports really help to build social skills especially with young children. Also, I am never really stressed from track, but some sports can be very time consuming. I learned that pressure and stress can lead to decreased “dedication to future aspirations.” Overall, I thought that you did a very good job presenting. I would have liked if you had added more on the topic of the effects of age since that was mentioned but not expanded on. I think that this would be important to add more on since the result of title IX is children playing sports at younger ages. Otherwise, I thought your review was very thorough and covered this presentation very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, I really liked your current event review because it was relatable to me, as opposed to a topic on a random scientific field that I had little previous knowledge of. Also, I thought you explained the role of gender in sports very well and how it effects injury rates and intensity level. In addition, I liked how you wrapped it all up by giving your opinion of the symposium, which I also presented at. I did not know that males generally have more opportunity in sports, although it makes sense because there is so much pressure put on boys to play sports. I also found it interesting that girls were more susceptible to ACL injuries, but I was wondering is there a specific reason why? Furthermore, although I though your paper was very well done, i think it would have been even better if you added in your opinion of Killian's topic, as opposed to your thoughts on the symposium in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your review because I found it very relevant and easy to relate to in my own life. I thought it was cool that you chose to review something from the poster symposium rather than find an article online. It seemed like you learned a lot from the symposium and you addressed the things you learned very well in your review. I liked how although you focused on Killian's topic, you also briefly talked about a couple others, because I think this added depth to your review. The one suggestion I would have would be to include a suggestion for how Killian could have improved her poster. Overall though, I thought your review was great. I found the topic very interesting, and thought it was surprising that girls and boys have only been offered equal opportunities in sports in the past 30 years or so. I also thought it was interesting what you said about ACL tears increasing in female athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, I really enjoyed reading your review. It was full of interesting facts that I had never known before. Also, your review was very relatable. I thought that you summarized the poster very well and were able to convey the message clearly.
    The poster itself sounds very interesting. I enjoyed learning about the negative effects that sports can have on athletes because I usually only hear the good side. This poster altered my perspective of youth sports. To some kids, sports can be a stress causer rather than stress releaser. It was also interesting to learn a little about educational vouchers.
    I though you did very well on your review. However, I wish you had included your opinion on this topic in a relevance paragraph to tie it in to our lives. What should we do about these issues? Overall, you did a great job and you made me wish that I had gone to the symposium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great review. I enjoyed the diversity that this article had to offer to us. One thing that truly stood out to me was the pressure factor, because this can be greatly relatable to anyone how participates in a competitive sport. The wording that you put into the article was very appropriate and help. Knowing the negative side of sports is a truly interesting topic. One thing to improve is your personal opinion on how all of these issues can be prevented.

    ReplyDelete